Friday, June 28, 2013

Running/Yoga in Williamsburg

W&M and local Williamsburg friends! Where are your favorite places to run in the 'burg? The area around where I live is great for short runs (2-3 miles, tops), but I need somewhere where I can log longer distances without going in circles, while I train for my half. I know the colonial part is always pretty, but it's peak tourist season, so I'm not anticipating running there everyday. Are there good parks with nice trails to run on, or are there routes that you recommend? I also enjoy running on bike paths and I think there's one near our apartment, down at Jamestown-has anyone ever explored this?

Also, what are some good races to do in this area? Right now, I'm only registered for the Rock 'n Roll half in September and Will and I are registered for the Busch Gardens Christmastown 8K. Otherwise, our race schedule is open. Any suggestions?

And lastly, does anyone have a recommendation of where to practice yoga around here? I've found one studio that I'm interested in, but it offers a little more hot yoga and a little less variety for flow classes, than I'm accustomed to.

Thanks in advance friends!


3 comments:

  1. Did a couple of my very long training runs in WBurg and would connect these a few of these. The trails behind Dupont Hall (path ends down by the new Ed School) are great and a bit challenging with the hills. Also, running on Colonial Parkway is pretty flat, but I would make sure you run with someone if you do that. Waller Miller has a nice path that runs parallel to Airport road (enter on Mooretown road, just past Richmond road). Running on campus is also good as you can wind throughout the different streets.

    ReplyDelete
  2. We loved rollerblading at New Quarter park. I'm not sure how nice their trails are for running but it could be worth looking into? I know the main road is about 1.5 miles down... we used to bike to the park from the apartments. I don't know how far you want to run, or where you're living now, but I would look into it! Lakeshead drive is a beautiful road, on the smaller side so I'd be careful if running at dusk, but could be a wonderful run!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Dr. B might have a few recommendations for both.

    ReplyDelete